CLIENT: Hillingdon House Ltd
DATE: February 2019
Hillingdon House is a 1700’s Grade II listed building originally built as a hunting lodge. The building was sold to the MOD in 1915 for use during the First World War. In the 1980’s the military function ceased operation and the building was left empty and secumbed to a derelict state.
Quinn London were employed to complete the remodeling of the existing layout and to complete refurbishment of Hillingdon House to its former glory. The contract required the provision of a commercial kitchen within the new planned
basement area, reception/event space on the ground floor with levels 1 & 2 fully restored and fitted out as CAT A offices.
Early evaluation of the of the site and understanding the existing conditions of the building was critical for us to determine and guide the client of the full restoration process. The roof required full renewal including full façade lime motar repairs and lime plaster refurbishment, the decorative ceilings had collapsed but through professional salvage and photographic evidence we were able to replicate the works with over 1,000 hours of recasting off site.
Full protection of existing listed building materials was the first step in retaining the original features of the building with a number of temporary works installed. These were both structural and for historical purposes.
The basement floor level reduction and underpinning were completed prior to the installation of a delta membrane and pump installation, this would offer a fully enclosed dry area for a fully functional kitchen and storage area within the basement.
Fabrication of new steel where required to accommodate all associated structural alterations to the building which ensured both the structural integrity and accommodated the clients design concept and reconfiguration of the building.
From design we provided newly installed metal staircases both internally and externally this provided access and emergency escape routes required for the increased occupancy of the building and future proofing the building to suit the requirements
The works incorporated a full MEP design and infrastructure to accommodate commercial use including the installation of new passenger, dumb waiter and goods lifts, which included the new formation of a lift shaft within the atrium area.
The works involved with the contract on all levels were extensive, the introduction of modern concepts into an listed building wasn’t without its challenges but was achieved to the highest level whilst maintaining the existing fabric and original features.
The main scope of works consisted of replacing the full roof coverings including copings, internal and external lime render/plaster repairs, full M&E installation to design, extensive basement alterations and structural works including full external landscaping packages. We also completed the full fit out of new WC’s to all floor that were DDA compliant and overhauled the exiting timber windows and doors to accommodate building regulations whilst maintaining the heritage concept.
We overhauled and restored all existing bespoke furniture that existed within the building.
Externally we completed hard and soft landcaping and security / lighting / infrastructure to the building. To provide better access and parking facilities for visitors / office occupants.