Thrale Almhouse

Client: Thrale Almhouses
Value: 2.2m
Date: June 2015

Thrale Almshouses is a historical site for subsidised housing for widows and elderly single women, built in 1832. The buildings unfortunately fell into a state of disrepair and well below modern standards. Planning permission was granted in September 2013 for the refurbishment and extension of the eight Almshouses, along with the addition of another nine new-build apartments with the aim of providing quality housing for women over 60.

Works comprised of the strip out, extension and refurbishment of eight apartments across the 2 number existing residential blocks, including removal and reinstatement of pitched roofs. The construction of 2 number new build residential blocks with nine individual units, all of which have access to a private external area either by garden or balcony.
Internal works to refurbishment blocks included:

  • Living rooms
  • Bedrooms
  • Bathrooms
  • Kitchen Units

The external works included a spacious communal courtyard, linking the individual apartment gardens and new disabled access entrance to the site. External bike stores, bin stores and a shed for maintenance.
The tight logistics of this project meant that detailed planning needed to be at the forefront of all decisions. With only one thoroughfare for the access to all four blocks this had to remain open at all times, giving a tight programme to finish the larger new build apartments.

By planning and coordinating the key sub-contractors to negate this access issue the job was delivered successfully and to a high quality.

The official opening for the Almshouses was well attended with Labour MP Chuka Umunna, local councillors, residents and individuals of the community. During the ceremony there was a reburial of a time capsule in the front garden that was discovered by our builders when works first started.